Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sculpture: What is A Woman?


For my readymade sculpture I really wanted to represent the many "hats" most women have to put on in their lifetimes. A woman is expected to be the wife, the mother, the caring nurturing member of the family. Even if she has a job outside the home, she is supposed to be the cook, the cleaner, the stereotypical house wife. But yet she is still expected to be beautiful for her husband and look like all the other jobs she has to balance don't effect her.

In my sculpture I used found objects such as an apron, cooking mitten, a spoon, yarn, and a mop to represent the house wife aspect of a women. While, I did want to imply a sexual expectation a woman is supposed to preform for her husband by the use of having her body be a pillow, I did not mean for that to be the main theme. However, my professor took my sculpture to be commenting fully on sex. Which upset me slightly since he started asking me questions I found to be very personal... I used makeup on the wig foam, not to represent a "hooker" as my professor said, but to show how women try so hard to look beautiful. I wanted to comment on this expectation men and other women put on women; this expectation to be pretty.







1 comment:

  1. This is great! I like how you're trying to deal with all those different hats. It's really crazy, isn't it? How about mothers who are expected to work full time, take care of the kids and house, and then look sexy (and if they don't people look down on them)?
    nice job

    ReplyDelete