Thursday, May 17, 2012

Design- Bubble in my Mind

I did these over a year ago in design class. They were my color theory project.
I may redo some of these as a digital version. 

Friday, May 11, 2012

Ripples of Sorrow

This is my final print for printmaking class. I will be taking the advance class next semester.
I etched this on a 12x9 inch copper plate. I used a mix of drypoint, hardground, and aquatint. I had scratched my plate pretty badly actually, but the aquatint covered most of the damage up. Even though I had originally drew the lines on top of hardground and etched them, they started to fade so I had to go over them with the drypoint technique. But doing so many curves was hard and I made a lot of mistakes!

Regardless, printmaking class was fun!

These are some other prints I made with my plate. They are far from perfect.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dinosaur Sketches

Went over to the Natural History Museum and sketched some dinosaurs. However, he Spinosaurus is from a photograph from a Japanese Museum. I wanted practice drawing on of those guys.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Animal prints

Prints I did in printmaking class earlier semester for my midterm.
I messed up my peacock plate pretty bad and tried to fix it by aquatinting. I never got that great of a print out of the plate. I may do a version of the drawing in photoshop or with cutouts.
 I hope to learn linography next semester in the advance class!

Mix of drypoint (hand etching) with hardground, softground for the eyes, and aquatint for the spots.

Etching on top of hardground, aquatint for the background and painting with ink.

Friday, May 4, 2012

More Korra Fanart

Drew these at 4:00am one night.

The Dreamer- Final version and Painting Process

This is my final painting for my Painting 1 class. We basically had free reign. I had originally wanted to paint a woman "falling into imagination." But I decided against that idea/composition. I had sketched a composition similar to the final product here and decided to go with that idea. Originally she was going to be holding some sort of light balls that were floating away and her hair was going to be changing colors. However, I just decided to leave it as this.

The background is all done with a palette knife over multiple layers. I used my friend as skin and pose reference. I wanted the painting to have a drawn look to it, so I outlined the face and shoulders and kept the hand line art. 


Sketched on canvas.

Trying to figure out what to do with the background. Discarded the rainbow vomit.

Some base colors.
My friend drew over the pose in photoshop. Looked a lot better.

Tried to fix pose and get some hair color in.
Tried to paint skin without a good reference. Bad Idea.

Got a reference and drew hands. Blocked in color for chest, shoulders and hands, and then started blocking in color in the face. Realized the face was too small.

Made face bigger and painted it. Then repainted hair.