Friday, May 4, 2012

The Dreamer- Final version and Painting Process


This is my final painting for my Painting 1 class. We basically had free reign. I had originally wanted to paint a woman "falling into imagination." But I decided against that idea/composition. I had sketched a composition similar to the final product here and decided to go with that idea. Originally she was going to be holding some sort of light balls that were floating away and her hair was going to be changing colors. However, I just decided to leave it as this.

The background is all done with a palette knife over multiple layers. I used my friend as skin and pose reference. I wanted the painting to have a drawn look to it, so I outlined the face and shoulders and kept the hand line art. 

Process:


Sketched on canvas.

Trying to figure out what to do with the background. Discarded the rainbow vomit.

Some base colors.
My friend drew over the pose in photoshop. Looked a lot better.

Tried to fix pose and get some hair color in.
Tried to paint skin without a good reference. Bad Idea.



Got a reference and drew hands. Blocked in color for chest, shoulders and hands, and then started blocking in color in the face. Realized the face was too small.

Made face bigger and painted it. Then repainted hair.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this painting looks so much better than the last time I saw it! I was worried the expression was too haughty..lol now it is subtler and the texture is so nice and warm :)

    You are talented!

    ReplyDelete